Symbol of the town of Massa Marittima, it has recently been
declared artistic heritage of Europe.
Enlarged and restructured at different times in history,
it was first built in a pre-Romanesque style in the 12th
century in order to shelter the remains of St. Cerbone.
In 1287 the apse was enlarged and in the first half of the
14th century two side chapels were added.
From the outside it is immediately evident its asymmetrical
position in the square. That was done to give more emphasis
to its dimensions.
Its asymmetric façade, in Romanesque style, is majestic
to see. On it we find plenty of symbolisms and of animal
figures with relief panels depicting St. Cerbone’s
life. The second row of 4 columns is supported by animal
figures symbolising the 4 evangelists. At the centre of
the tympanum we can admire the figure of St. Peter holding
Inside the cathedral, the main monument is St. Cerbone’s
Urn , valuable work of art by Goro di Gregorio, dated 1324
and showing on each side episodes of the saint’s life.
Still inside the cathedral we can admire the Baptismal Font,
carved from a single block of travertine and dated 1267.
The marble Tabernacle balancing above it dates back to the
year 1447 and is decorated according to the criteria of
the “Medieval Bestiaries”, with scenes from
the Bible and the gospels. Noteworthy are the pre-Romanesque
bas-reliefs, excellent example of Lombard art, depicting
the apostles and the Massacre of the Innocents. Wonderful
masterpieces are also the wooden Crucifix by Giovanni Pisano,
14th century, and the Maesta’ (Madonna with Child)
by Duccio di Boninsegna, dated 1316.