In this village traces of its iron industry are still visible. Tollo Albizzeschi, St. Bernardino’s father, started this industry using the iron brought inland from Elba Island. This industry continued even under Sienna dominion and even more so under the Grand Duchy of Tuscany to the point that the forests surrounding the village were destroyed in order to have more wood to be burnt in the foundry.
This activity stopped in 1885 following the construction of more modern iron foundries in Follonica, near the sea. This project was wanted and actuated by the Grand Duke of Tuscany. The remains of this first example of industrial civilization are interesting to see.